03 January 2008

Hockey Is Back !


Wow ! I haven't had that much fun watching a hockey game since I was a kid in the 70s. 71,217 people watching outside. In the snow! With the retro uniforms and hockey's next great one, Sidney Crosby, winning the game in the shootout. It felt like hockey had a vibe it hasn't felt since the 60s expansion from the original six teams to twelve. I hope NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman sticks with the idea of making this an annual event. Sure, it may not snow every year. But for this year, the first year of the NHL's Winter Classic, it was pure magic.

And how about Sidney Crosby? Did you see that assist? Did you see the turning pivot move? Did you see him stick handle three times consecutively in mid-air? Did you see him win the game in the shootout? Crosby is exactly what hockey needs right now.

The NHL has so much opportunity right now to advance its marketing image. If they played their cards right, they could make The Winter Classic "the" New Year's Day event. The fans absolutely loved it. The only thing I would suggest is considering a larger rink strictly for the large venue outdoor games. It may seem a little weird at first, but adding 10-20 feet on all four sides would make for excellent skating and better viewing in a stadium.

I can't wait to get back to America and be close to hockey again. They actually had a rink here in Adana, Turkey , but I guess it didn't last very long. In 2002-2003 I managed to reconnect with the sport I love. I played in pick-up scrimmages on Monday nights and got a job at San Diego Ice Arena where I learned to drive the Zamboni. But, in Lancaster there was no ice rink. And now no ice rink in Turkey either. When karen and I return to America I want to live where the guys have a hockey night on TV and there's a rink with an old timer's league. Perhaps we will have a little hockey player or figure skater in the near future.

So 2008 starts out with a huge BANG for hockey! Did I mention the fans liked the event?


























All photos from nhl.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you got to see the game Patrick--it was something else--like the good old Hockey Days!!! Love Mom

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! I know it is a little late - but I finally got Nick to send me this link! I just want you to know we think about you guys all the time - and miss you bunches!!! It was wonderful getting your Christmas card!! It sounds like you are having a very interesting time there!! I will make sure we keep up with what you post - makes it feel like you are not so far away!!!

Love you both!!
Nick & Kathy

Patrick Dwyer said...

Hi Kathy ! ! ! ! ! !
Man do we miss you guys. I swear I will call soon. As I write this I am the Community center waiting for my next guitar student to show up and they are now here - gotta go.